Monday, March 16, 2009

Henry will be: A Politician, A Philosopher, or a Lawyer

Today, Henry, who has begun the filthy habit of fibbing, surprised me with a little philosophy. He had been in his room during naptime, but not napping. Mostly just saying "Mommy, come in here, I don't want to nap." Knowing that he really needed a nap due to being up most of the past two nights, I kept going in there and saying, "Nope, you can't come out until you've had a nap. You at least have to go to sleep." Then, I would go back to my computer and listen on the baby monitor. I could hear him the whole time - singing, coughing, etc. So, I knew he had not actually gone to sleep. He finally kept calling for me. So, I asked him "Henry did you go to sleep?" Yes, he insisted. I could tell from his little smile and the way he was acting (and because I knew the actual truth) that he was lying! I said,
"Henry, is that the truth?"
"What does truth mean?"
"Well, truth is when you are saying what really happened. It's the real thing. It's not making things up."
I ellaborated a bit more on definitions and he asked a few more questions.
Finally I said, "Henry, tell me the real truth. Did you go to sleep and take a nap or no? I know you did not. You aren't telling me the truth."
Then, he replied, "Mommy, I'm telling my truth and you are telling your truth."

At that, I couldn't help but crack up laughing. Mommy: 0, Henry 1

No comments: